Halloween is one of my favorite holidays of the year. The neighborhood I grew up in Northern Virginia was your typical suburban neighborhood and went all out for Halloween. Tons of houses in the neighborhood would turn their garages and yards into spooky graveyards or witches lairs. When I got older all I wanted to do was scare kids with my own version.
In addition to scaring the crap out of little kids I also enjoying tucking into a horror movie while sipping on some seasonal suds. Just like pairing food and beer or cigars and beers why don’t we pair movies and beer? I think Halloween is the perfect time to do that!
- Coney Island Freaktoberfest– How could you not start off with this blood red lager from Shmaltz Brewing Companies Coney Island line-up? When a beer comes in at 6.66% abv and is made with 6 malts and 6 hops it IS the perfect Halloween beer. This one will blow your mind from a sensory standpoint. Trust me.
PAIR WITH: Freaks– This classic 1932 horror film that takes place at a circus uses real life carnival sideshow performers that had real physical deformities.
- Shipyard Pumpkinhead- You know I’m going to put a pumpkin beer on this list and I felt this one fit the bill perfectly. Not only does it taste like pumpkin pie but it also has the Headless Horsemen on the bottle. Perfect.
PAIR WITH: Sleepy Hollow- This 1999 Tim Burton film with Johnny Depp is a decent screen adaptation of Kiplings Short Story. And Christopher Walken as the Hessian is awesome.
- Reaper Ale Mortality Stout– I’m not really sure I need to explain this one to you. This foreign stout from Reaper Ale in California pours a dark black and has hints of roasted malt and mocha.
PAIR WITH: Stir of Echos– My wife and I won tickets to see this Kevin bacon film when it first came out and it creeped us both out. We loved it. If you haven’t seen it you’re in luck because it’s a great flick.
- Reaper Ale Deathly Pale Ale– Yeah I have another one from Reaper Ale. Their beers are just too perfect for Halloween not to have at least two. This American Pale Ale comes at you with a nice citrus hoppiness and is well balanced.
PAIR WITH: Quarantine– This 2008 English remake of the Spanish film REC is awesome. The premise is a group of people get quarantined in a building due to virus outbreak. Ebola anyone? This one is guaranteed to make you jump.
- Brasserie Dieu du Ciel! Rigor Mortis ABT– This Quad style ale from Dieu du Ciel! is great for Halloween for obvious reasons. It is a nice malty beer with hints of chocolate, caramel and dark fruit.
PAIR WITH: 28 Days Later– This zombie-esque style film is another virus/plague outbreak film like Quarantine but the similarities end there. I think this film starring Cillian Murphy is one of the best horror films in a long time and was a refreshing take on the tired zombie genre.
Go grab these beers for tonite!
Jeremy Beer Buddha Labadie